In addition to providing trick-or-treating safety tips, the Novi Police and Fire Departments recommend the following safety rules for Halloween decorations:
- Carve pumpkins on stable, flat surfaces with good lighting.
- Have children draw a face on the outside of the pumpkin and have parents do the cutting.
- Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, walkways and yards. Do not leave lit pumpkins unattended.
- It is safest to use a flashlight or battery-operated candle in a jack-o-lantern. If you use a real candle, use extreme caution. Make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit. When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, use long, fireplace style matches or a utility lighter.
- Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs, and heaters.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
- Tell children to stay away from open flames. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire. (Have them practice, stopping immediately, dropping to the ground, covering their face with hands, and rolling over and over to put the flames out.)
—The above information was provided in a press release.
- Enter to Win Patch’s Best Halloween Costume in America Contest
- Novi Halloween Party Hopes to Break Guinness World Record
- Where to Buy Your Halloween Costume in Novi
- Where to Pick a Pumpkin Near Novi
- Patch Picks the Top 10 Scariest Halloween Movies of All Time
- Top Halloween Costumes of 2012
- Zombie Invasions: Your Guide to Walking Dead Gatherings in Metro Detroit
- Halloween Events Guide: Haunted Happenings in Novi and Metro Detroit
- Scare Guide: Where to Find Haunted Houses in Southeast Michigan