The Oakland County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a resolution Thursday to welcome the Great Lakes State Fair and support the leaders, partners and sponsors of the new state fair.
The fair will be hosted at the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi this weekend, Friday, Aug. 31-Sept. 3, 2012.
Oakland County Comissioner Kathy Crawford, who represents Novi and part of Northville, introduced the resolution and said the fair will be great for Novi and the county.
"It's great to bring back a version of the state fair. It may not be what people remember as the state fair, but that doesn't mean it's a negative thing," she said. "It's revitalized and I think that's wonderful. People really have missed it."
The Great Lakes State Fair promotes Michigan’s agricultural heritage — a heritage that dates back to 1849, when the first Michigan State Fair was established.
After a three-year hiatus of the Michigan State Fair, which is recognized as the oldest state fair in the United States, the Great Lakes State Fair was organized to maintain the state’s agricultural tradition and the legacy of the original Michigan State Fair.
"We need the state fair, especially when we're trying to support Michigan entrepreneurs and farmers," Crawford said. "This kind of focuses on them."
Crawford will honor the fair Thursday by presenting a framed resolution to the Great Lakes State Fair organizers at the Suburban Collection Showplace beginning at 6:30 p.m.
- State Fair Taking Extra Precautions for Health of Animals, People
- Details Announced for Circus, Midway Fun at Great Lakes State Fair
- 16 Contests to Be Held at Great Lakes State Fair
- Stabenow Named Grand Marshal of Great Lakes State Fair
- Entertainment Lineup Announced for Great Lakes State Fair
- Prices, Times Announced for Great Lakes State Fair
- Discount Tickets Now Available Online for Great Lakes State Fair
- Michigan State Fair Planned To Be Revived in Novi