The ninth annual Pet Expo will be held at Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi on Sept. 21-23. The show will be produced for the first time by nationally recognized event producer Steve Cantin and his team at All American Pet Expos.
The 2012 All-American Pet Expo builds and expands upon the prior local Pet Expos by adding many attractions with an ultimate “World” themed experience, which will include separate sections for patrons to visit and gain knowledge about a wide variety of creature friends, including dogs, cats, horses, reptiles, fish and birds. The Pet Expo is also a shopping destination for every pet parent, featuring a huge variety of specialty pet products not generally found in retail stores.
Rescue groups and shelters for many varieties of family pets will also be represented. The event has a goal of facilitating 600 pet adoptions through the course of the weekend. The Mega Pet Adoption Sweepstakes offers all ticket holders and guests a chance to win a wide variety of fun pet-related prizes, as well as a family weekend stay at the Double JJ Ranch in Rothbury.
Dogs will be welcome at the expo on Friday only.
- Introduction to 4-H Membership: 4-H youth will talk about their companion animal projects, including feeding, grooming, health care, showmanship, agility and all the fun activities they do with their pets. 4-Hers will also share what they have learned and how the experience has taught them life skills, such as responsibility, commitment, leadership and teamwork.
- John Lege is also known simply as That Guy with the Birds. Through John’s interactive Parrot Education Program, Pet Expo visitors can learn about parrots — his variety styled program features music, magic, education plus audience participation with his highly trained and hilarious parrot pals.
- Brandilyn Farm Alpacas: Brandilyn Farm will be offering a chance to meet both Suri and Huacaya Alpacas. They will also be demonstrating the fine art of spinning their beautiful fleece into yarn. Some of the topics Brandilyn Farms will discuss with visitors are the History of the Alpaca, general care of Alpacas, Alpacas as the perfect 4-H animals, and what wearable and household items items can be created from Alpaca Fleece.
- Pet-Lookalike Contest: The All American Pet Expo is asking Metro Detroit pet lovers to share their best look-alike photos. All entries win a prize—the best and most identical entries will win gift certificates for a free stay at All American Pet Resorts and a shopping spree at Pet Smart. Winner will be announced by Fresh 100.3 FM afternoon host Kristin Burns on Saturday afternoon, Sept 22, during the Pet Expo. Entrants need not be present to win.
- The Great Lakes Zoological Society's Conservation and Rescue Center (A World of Discovery) in Ann Arbor, is a great family destination. It's an indoor zoo experience featuring reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, birds, and other exhibits. They will be onsite at the All American Pet Expo –in partnership with the Michigan Herpetologists Association—with a wide spectrum of reptile and amphibians—more than 50 different creatures. They will also offer an introduction to basic care for these animals as family pets.
- The All American Pet Expo will feature “Ask the Vet” live presentations covering a wide variety of health care topics and products for all pet species. There are more than a dozen Michigan Veterinary Hospitals participating in the Expo, with well-regarded vets from a number of specialties.
- Author and Animal Bowen Practitioner Dianna McPhail will be offering “hands-on healing” demonstrations and instructions for owners of pets large and small. McPhail will offer two instructional sessions each day of the Expo with horses and two sessions with dogs. The benefits of Animal Bowen include stress reduction and improvement of health and behavior in companion animals and family pets of all species and sizes.
—The above information was provided in a press release.