Here are five easy recipes you can make for your New Year's Eve or New Year's Day gatherings.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 c. tomato juice
- 2 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Hot sauce to taste
To start, brown the beef in a medium saute pan. Drain the fat. Add the onions and bell pepper, and cook until the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). In a Crock Pot, combine the diced tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, pumpkin, chili powder, cumin, pumpkin pie spice, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Mix well. Next, add in the cooked beef and stir. Cook on low for six to eight hours, or on high for four hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on top and your favorite corn bread. Enjoy!
- 3 (8 ounce) packages of softened cream cheese
- 1 package of Dry mix - Ranch Dressing (like Hidden Valley)
- 1/2 -3/4 can of beer for 3 packages of cream cheese (I used Sam Adam's Boston Lager, you want a full bodied lager for flavor)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (preferably finely grated)
- Bacon bits (optional garnish)
To start, mix the cream cheese, dressing and beer in a large bowl until you reach your desired creamy consistency. Next, mix in 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Once blended, transfer into a serving dish and top with the remainder of the cheese.
At this point you can either serve it, or place in the refrigerator overnight. I prefer to let it sit overnight so the flavors are more pronounced. Prior to serving, garnish with the bacon bits. This recipe serves 12. Enjoy with pretzels or Frito scoops!
Corn Dog Muffins
- 2 packages (8-1/2 oz. each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 1 can (11 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
- 5 hot dogs, chopped (I used cheddar hot dogs for a bit of extra flavor)
In a large bowl, combine corn bread mix and brown sugar. Then, combine the eggs and milk. Stir that into the dry ingredients until moistened. Stir in corn and hot dogs (batter will be thin). Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees for 14-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. This makes 1-1/2 dozen. Enjoy!
Original Skyline Chili Dip
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 1 15-oz. can of Skyline chili
- 12 oz. thinly shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a 9-by-12 pan, spread the cream cheese evenly along the bottom of the pan. Next, pour the can of chili over the cream cheese and spread evenly. Sprinkle the top with the shredded cheese and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted. Let cool slightly, then serve warm with a bag of your favorite tortilla chips.
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) of black beans, rinsed
- 1 can (17 oz.) of whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1/2 of a red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp. of red wine vinegar
- 3-4 tbsp. of lime juice
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of pepper
Drain one can of corn and pour into a large bowl. Drain two cans of black beans and rinse with water and add those to the bowl with the corn. Next, chop up two large tomatoes and add those to the bowl. slice the avocado and remove the pit. Chop the avocado and add to the bowl along with the cilantro. Chop half of a large red onion and add it to the bowl. Next, add one tablespoon of red wine vinegar to the bowl. Add three or four tablespoons of lime juice to the bowl. Next, add two tablespoons of olive oil. Finally, season with salt and pepper. The recipe calls for half a teaspoon of pepper and one teaspoon of salt, but you can season to taste. Mix together all the ingredients. Scoop into a serving dish and serve with your favorite tortilla chips. If you want a little kick, you can add jalapeno peppers to the mix. Enjoy!