What's the most romantic movie of all time?
A good friend who’s a huge movie buff said The Bridges of Madison County is "up there,” but added: "I almost can’t watch it anymore because it’s so heartbreaking.”
She decided it’s easier to name the most romantic scenes, such as one from It’s a Wonderful Life. “Mary (Donna Reed) is on the phone trying to ignore James Stewart and he finally can't stand it and just grabs, kisses, hugs her," she recounts. "Then there’s Rhett kissing Scarlett by the fence after Atlanta burns in Gone With the Wind.”
Indeed, those scenes really do make the heart go pitter-patter.
Jessica Jackson, manager at the video store in Clawson, said The Notebook, Dear John, and The Last Song are three most-popular romantic movie requests at her store.
The Notebook, in fact gets a veritable five-heart rating on www.allwomenstalk.com. The plot features an old man reading a story to an old woman in a nursing home. The story he reads follows two young lovers who meet one evening at a carnival. But they are separated by the girl’s parents,who dissaprove of the man’s unwealthy family.
The most romantic movie with a local spin has to go to Somewhere in Time, said Susan Keels of Troy. “The movie was filmed on Mackinac Island and at the Grand Hotel, which makes it extra special being from Michigan and visiting Mackinac on several occasions,” added Keels, director of sales and marketing for the in Rochester.
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, we get into the “reel” spirit of the holiday with five more romantic favs:
- Notting Hill: William Thacker, an unsuccessful Notting Hill bookstore owner, meets Anna Scott, the world's most beautiful woman. Between an orange juice-spilling episode and her visit to his apartment to change into clean clothes, an attraction grows.
- Sleepless in Seattle: A recently widowed man's son calls a radio talk show in an attempt to find his father a partner. Together, Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan define cute.
- The Holiday: Two women with man problems decide to swap homes in each other’s countries. And along comes Mr. Right.
- Return to Me: The X Files' David Duchovny plays the part of a grieving husband who falls in love with the woman who received his wife's heart when she tragically dies.
- Must Love Dogs: A divorced woman looks for love on perfectmatch.com. She doesn’t know that though, as her sisters are the ones who secretly post her profile. And as she’s a dog lover, they request that her match must love dogs. Enter a couple of men, one of whom steals her heart.
Here's where you can pick up a movie in Novi: