The holiday season is a popular time for residents to take a vacation. Here are some tips from the Novi Police Department on how to keep your home safe when you're out of town:
- Valuable items, such as televisions, stereos and computers, should be inscribed with an identifying number unique to its owner (do not use your entire social security number).
- Create an up-to-date home inventory including make, model, serial numbers, other detailed descriptions, and photographs of items of value (including jewelry). This inventory should be kept somewhere safe, out of the house.
- At least two light timers should be set to turn the lights and TV on and off in a logical sequence when away for an extended time period to give the appearance that someone is home.
- The motion detector or other alarm system (if you have one) should be activated when you leave home.
- Mail and newspaper deliveries should be stopped or arrangements for a neighbor/friend to pick them up should be made when you are away from home for a period of time.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to tend the yard, shovel the snow, and watch your home when you are away or have a trusted friend or relative house sit in your absence.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked when you leave, even if you have an alarm system.
The Novi Police Department wishes everyone a safe, happy and peaceful holiday season. For more information about the Novi Police Department, visit cityofnovi.org.
—The above information was provided in a press release.